Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Three IAC Passions - Part 2

Picking up from my last post, my second passion is to lead IAC back to its roots. This is embodied in the theme “Driving Dialogue”. I believe it is important to create as many opportunities as possible for IAC members to dialogue on topics of interest. There’s certainly no dearth of potential topics. Our industry is evolving at such a rapid rate that it is important for individuals to talk about these changes, to understand the range of perspectives, to contribute their own voice to the conversation, to learn and grow from others, and to help others learn and grow from each contributor’s knowledge. We cannot be islands. And, we cannot be masters unless we are willing to share and learn.

When I started as chair, a primary way I thought about driving dialogue was through programs. Under the able leadership of Andy Robinson, the programs committee has been restructured with a focus on delivering content in accordance with themes. Yes, there still are and will be the more traditional programs that many members appreciate. These programs are typified by a member from an agency coming in to speak. Supplementing these are programs focused on ACT’s top 10 issues and transition. These programs cut across agencies. We’re also starting planning for new types of programs, for example an upcoming CXO dinner. In all cases, the program committee is seeking to encourage more dialogue between industry and government.

One aspect that I have found particularly interesting is that my focus has been primarily on driving dialogue between industry and government. Yet, there’s a second component which many members also find of value. That is intra-organization dialogue, dialogue between and among the members. Perhaps one of the CEO Advisory Council members said it best when he commented that there is a scarcity of forums that bring him together with his peers. I have come to realize that this intra-organization dialogue is just as essential to developing a robust community as dialogue between industry and government.

The other interesting comment that a number of members have made to me is that they don’t view driving dialogue as a theme. Rather, they see this as fundamental to the organization. Themes come and go. As one member said “this is what IAC is about, or should be”. So while I often talk about driving dialogue, this really isn’t what I am trying to accomplish. This is what IAC is trying to accomplish. I am proud to be part of what our members are really making happen.

Leslie

No comments: